Jun 18 2015

Mushrooms Can Be Toxic!

With the widespread heavy rainfall we have had in recent weeks we are seeing an increase in mushrooms popping up in area yards.  Not every mushroom will harm our pets, and in fact the frequency of poisonings is low, but some of them may be toxic.  Early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, ataxia, depression, tremors, and seizures, with liver and renal damage occurring later.  Some of the worst varieties can cause liver failure and death.  Since there is no easy way to tell the good from the bad, it is always best to prevent our pets from eating these mushrooms.  As we all know this may be easier said than done.  If you suspect you pet may have eaten mushrooms in the yard it is best to make them vomit and contact your veterinarian for further instructions.

Below are links to a few articles on the subject.  If you have further questions regarding mushrooms and your pet, please give us a call.

 

https://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Are-Wild-Mushrooms-Toxic-to-Pets.aspx

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/lets-be-careful-out-there-mushrooms-dogs

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/2011/09/things-in-your-yard-that-are-poisonous-to-dogs-cats/

crossrd1 | Important Health Information

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Contact Us

Crossroads Veterinary Clinic
W5493 County Road KK
Appleton, WI
54915

Phone: (920) 749-9400
View Map & Hours